If they aren’t out already, kids everywhere are nearing their last few days of the 2011/2012 school year. Except for those poor kids on a year-round schedule. Sorry kids, you’ve been robbed of a true summer! Make it a healthy summer-break, stock up on crunchy and chewy savory, sweet and savory-sweet snacks that are a yummy alternative to ice-cream and cookies.
Store-bought Chex Mix is good, but nothing beats homemade! Especially when you think about the bag being mostly Chex dust once you get it home from the store. And have you had warm Chex Mix!? Ohh. Mmm. Geee!!! I share with you two recipes, Cinnamon-Apple Chex Mix and Basic Chex Mix that can be modified as you wish. The possibilities are endless!! Get the kids in on it, let them help make a snack they’ll enjoy. Switch up the recipe and make it your own. Get creative! Get to healthy snackin’! 😉
Basic Chex Mix
3 cups Corn Chex Cereal
3 cups Rice Chex Cereal
3 cups Wheat Chex Cereal
1 cup mixed nuts
1 cup bite-sized pretzels
1 cup garlic-flavored bite-size bagel chips or regular sized bagel chips, broken into 1-inch pieces
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1. In a large microwavable bowl, mix cereal, nuts pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In a small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on high about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasons. Pour over cereal mixture, stir until evenly coated.
2. Microwave uncovered on high 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.
~ I cut the above recipe in half and only used the Rice and Corn Chex.
~ I substituted mixed nuts with raw almonds.
~ I left out the pretzels and the bagel chips
~ Going for a savory-sweet mix, I added approximately 1/2 cup each, chopped dried apricots and pineapple after the mix had been cooked and spread to cool.
I, Allison solemnly swear that Chex Mix CAN be burned in the microwave! 😉 Watch your heat level and your times.
Cinnamon-Apple Chex Mix
5 cups Wheat Chex cereal
1 cup lightly salted whole almonds
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup*
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup dried apples
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt-covered raisins*
1. In large microwaveable bowl, mix cereal and almonds.
2. In a 2-cup microwaveable measuring cup, microwave butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and cinnamon uncovered on high about 2 minutes, stirring every 1 minute, until mixture is boiling; stir. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated. Microwave uncovered on high 3 minutes, stirring and scraping bowl after every minute. Stir in apples; microwave uncovered on high about 2 minutes or until apples just begin to brown on edges.
3. Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool, about 15 minutes. Place in serving bowl, stir in yogurt-covered raisins. Store in airtight container.
*I substituted honey for the corn syrup and vanilla yogurt-covered cherries for the raisins. I have a feeling vanilla yogurt-covered cranberries would be good too! 🙂