Another IG inspired dish, Three-Cheese Mac n’ Cheese with Cheetos, aka Three-Cheese Mac n’ Cheetos! Yes you read that right, CHEETOS!!! 🙂 Whoever thought of crumbling Cheetos on top of Mac n’ Cheese is pure genius! For reals.
I am a serious Mac n’ Cheese snob. Serious. I do not like the box stuff. Never have. Not even when I was a little kid. Chalk it up to another thing my mom “spoiled” me on, homemade Mac n’ Cheese. I especially loved when she’d throw in those little cocktail wieners. 🙂
I don’t have a recipe to share for this dish, just the ingredient list and the very basics. You’ll just have to wing it or refer to a recipe of your choice for a guideline. 😉 I made just enough Mac n’ Cheese for two which was perfect being I get tired of left-overs around day 3…
Three-Cheese Mac n’ Cheetos
3 cheeses of your choice – I went with Brie, Gruyère & Smoked Cheddar from our local creamery, Spring Hill Cheese (check them out – http://springhillcheese.com/)
Fresh Thyme, chopped
Pancetta (I forgot this ingredient… 😦 )
Nutmeg, if desired
1. Grate hard cheeses, cube soft cheeses. Reserve some cheese for topping at the end.
3. If using, crisp pancetta (or BACON!!), drain of oil and set aside.
3. In a pot, melt some butter over medium high heat until it begins to bubble then add flour to make a roux. Stir until golden, then add warmed milk slowly, whisking until completely mixed and roux begins to thicken. Remove from heat. Add fresh thyme, cheese, salt, pepper and any other seasonings of choice and whisk until smooth. Add pancetta or bacon, if using.
4. Prepare pasta per box instructions, to al dente. Drain pasta and add to pot of cheese sauce. Mix to coat.
5. Place Mac n’ Cheese in desired baking dish, sprinkle with reserved cheese and then top with crushed Cheetos. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and Cheetos are slightly browned.